Sunday 6 December 2009

Days 76 & 77: Le carrefour

I was all set for the pub on Friday night, when I was struck by a mini-epiphany. Nothing too dramatic I have to confess, but I was suddenly confronted by the brutally obvious truth that I would be much better off if I just went home to bed instead. And that’s exactly what I did.

Consequently, I woke on Saturday morning feeling unusually refreshed, and still clinging to the clarity of mind and wellness of body that the hefeweizens have usually eroded. It was pissing down, yet again, but we headed into Cork none the less and passed the time of day. It was looking like another quiet night until a rescue text at about half nine, and a few of us piled down the Blackbird. Pulling up, there were a few girls outside dressed up to the nines. “What’s the occasion?” I asked. “Guess,” came the reply. “Er, Hallowe’en?” No, even scarier than that, it was a bleach blonde hen’s night. Terrifying. The worse part being that every local geezer who came through the door was greeted by howls and cheers, encouraged to remove their shirts and swing them around their heads, toxifying the pub with a deadly cocktail of noxious BO.

I woke up this morning and appreciated just how clear-headed I had been yesterday. I passed some time filing recipes by the fire, and this evening a load of us went to a big Terra Madre event at Ballymaloe House. Terra Madre, for the uninitiated, is the international slow food movement that encourages and celebrates local, sustainable food. So a couple of hundred people gorged themselves on it just to prove how great it really is. I don’t feel like getting the soapbox out right now, but unless we all do something about the food we eat, how it is produced and where it comes from, we are all fucked.

http://www.slowfood.com/

http://www.terramadre.info/pagine/welcome.lasso?n=en

My friend reminded me the other night that I am at a crossroads. All I really know is that food is next. And food that will count - food that creates and doesn't destroy. Real, natural food. How, what or where, I don’t really know. The paradox of this uncertainty is that we fear the things we cannot control, but they are exactly what make it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment